Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Papaya Skins


So what to do with those papaya skins?? I saw a site that mentioned a papaya vinegar recipe for skin and hair care, where you cover the papaya fruit over with apple cider vinegar and use it as a skin or hair rinse after it's soaked in the vinegar for a few days. I've also found several sites extolling the benefits of papaya for skin care. One recommendation that sounded simple was to use the skin the same way another site advised that we use the mango skin--apply the fruit to your face using the peel as applicator, and then wait until the fruit dries to remove it, making a nice facial peel mask. I think I will rub my face with the papaya peels, just as recommended by some with the mango skins. Then I will chuck it in the tub for a relaxing, skin nourishing bath. For future reference, I found that the juice from pineapple skins are also sometimes used for a nourishing skin mask. Turns out Papaya is antibacterial and acne-fighting. It is also wound healing and is used a lot in serious wound care to remove dead skin cells, as well as in the healing of smaller bruises. Papaya can also get rid of age spots and freckles, as it has whitening agents. It is often used in baby food and food enzyme pills because it helps with digestion and proper production of digestive.
My other thought is, natural dyes. This is something I have a burgeoning interest in. I think I will begin to experiment with things like papaya as natural dyes. I've researched some of this, and what natural dyes need in order to stick to clothing is a fixative of some sort. The household varieties of this are table salt, vinegar, or alum (which you can find in the pickling spice section of the grocery store spice rack), though one site I found also recommended aluminum salt as a good fixative, and as I was brainstorming on how to obtain an aluminum salt other than alum, it occured to me that deodorant might be a prime example of this. I switched my run-of-the-mill deodorant/anti-perspirant out for Tom's deodorant recently because I heard how the aluminum salt in it is bad for your glands and skin. Fortunately, instead of chucking the old deodorant sticks I saved them in the back of a drawer somewhere. I think a natural dye experiment would be a great use for them.

The procedure for making a fixative is to dissolve the fixative in water, then dunk the fabric you are going to dye in the mixture using a stick or wooden spoon, then raise the water to boiling, and let the fabric simmer for 20 minutes. Then remove the fabric, wring it out, and place it immediately in the dye bath. Dye baths can be made from natural sources by wrapping the organic substances in cheesecloth, covering it with water, boiling until the color really comes out into the water enough to seem useful, then remove the cheesecloth wrapped items and dunk the fabric in the dye for as long as it takes to really soak into your cloth. Line dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here.