Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A garbage stew by any other name...

So this week's stew was not as big of a hit as the other week. This week I used carrot heads, cabbage heads, a small amount of green onion roots, zucchini slices, zucchini stems and zucchini peels, and some cilantro roots, then added buckwheat and oregano and red pepper for seasoning. I stewed it overnight as before. The results? Sort of watery and much less savory. I think that the last batch was such a success because it used sesame oil and curry powder, and more onions, and flax meal. These additions really brought out the flavor of the buckwheat. The kumquats from last week were also a nice addition. I think that the next soup I make will have more of the original ingredients, and will also use some kind of citrus flavoring (probably lemon or lime juice).


It's interesting to think back on garbage craft through the ages. This is not a new concept at all. My Norwiegen immigrant grandmother had a 'scraps' drawer beneath her cutting board kitchen island, where she swept all kinds of scraps and later made them into stews. My mother grew up wearing dresses that her mother sewed for her out of flour sacks. It's also cool to look at the words other places and cultures put on things. Opala in Hawaii. Rubbish in England, etc. I found an interesting British blog today called "The Rubbish Diet" this woman's project is cutting down her waste to zero, by 'thinning' the weight of her bin little by little. What was really great to see at this site was an excellent new name for garbage goulash aka kitchen sink soup. The best yet. She calls it, Wizard Soup. That's absolutely savage!

So what else did I make this week? I had many many thick slices of zucchini left over from the spirooli noodles we make out of zucchini at work (did I mention I work at a raw vegan place?)...we use these spiroolied noodles to make an excellent raw pad thai. FYI- The spirooli gadget works by way of a sort of cleat or flower-frog like panel--a panel covered in spikes, which can be rotated and pushed on with a hand crank. On the other side of this cleat you lodge the vegetable you desire to be spiroolied. The other end of the vegetable gets cut into noodles as you crank on the handle and the vegetable is spun, cheese slicer style. through a narrow blade. So anyhoo, I saved the bases of the zucchini and am going to use them in a zucchini cheese casserole.
I also took most of the zucchini peels and blended them with some water, then froze it as soup base. Here is the before and after of that..

As for the garbage garden, it's coming along. I thought I'd post a few pics this week to show it off a bit. This week's new contributions were several cilantro roots, a couple of parsley roots, a slew of avocado seeds, and more green onion stubbies. The papaya seeds I set out to dry should also be just about ready this week for planting. Two things I need to make happen: I need more pots, and I need to make some labels for the plants, because some of the seeds I plant fail to grow anything, and then I forget what was what. Another thing I learned this week was: next time I should really freeze the papaya skins. I ended up throwing the whole gallon bag of them out because I'd planned on using them as a facial care product, but a week in a gallon bag, I figured it must have grown a few bacteria that would not be very healthy to put on my face. Freezing should fix this problem. I lost the lime rinds to the same cause. I didn't grate them in time, and didn't want to risk injesting their bacteria a week later, when I realized I still hadn't purchased a spice grater.

In the column towards the good this week though, I began a compost pile out on Juaquin's porch, where I was able to put the leftovers from this week's bag. I am going to try and get some worms for it very soon. I also was able to add some red onion skins to the dye ingredients bag I've got going in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here.